Skip to main content

Week10 : The Left Hand of Darkness(5pt)

 11/14/2020

This week I read The Left Hand of Darkness. Well, I didn’t expect this book is about a group of very special humans living on a distant, cold planet. I would not know about that just by looking at the name of the book. They have five or so days each month when they are in heat, and the rest of the days are really just  bisexual people, or to be more precise, asexual people. That is to say, except for those days when no matter how beautiful a woman is, no matter how seductive she is, no matter how beautiful or naked a woman is walking down the street, no one will bother to look at her. They become temporarily male or female only during the rut, and it is random. The setting of this concept is so interesting, I have never seen such a concept. This month you may be a woman, the next month you may be a man, and once the rut is over, their bodies quickly revert back to the intersex state.

But it's hard for them to understand what "gender" is, or why one can call themselves a " man" or a "woman". On our planet, gender is the number one factor to identify our social identity. A man might think "I'm a man, so I'm going to...", and a woman might think "I'm a woman, so I should..." These thoughts follow us forever, even in the most tiny part of our lives.So even though there is no law forcing us, we will find that the men around us are always more dignified, and the women are always more willing to show their weakness, even if the original character is not like this at all. That’s why human from earth will need explains to this group of amazing humans what men and women are and, unlike them, on earth, gender is the primary and most important element that determines the way we live our lives


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week9 : The Martian (6pt)

  11/6/2020 This week I chose The Martian by Andy Weir. I was very excited to read The Martian because I was curious how the book is different from the movie version. I enjoyed watching the movie version about four years ago, I thought this is a great opportunity to revisit the story in book format. The biggest difference is that the novel is presented in the form of Mark's task log. For each problem to be solved, multiple backup solutions are proposed but are eliminated one by one, then they come up with the final solutions. On the other hand, the movie can only show the final solution directly, and the process of brainstorming is completely ignored. I have to admire the outstanding writing skills of the author. It was a quality science fiction novel that is not hard to read at all. However, to read it carefully and fully understand the science and the reasons for their actions is a little bit hard. Plus, it was so realistic that I was a little nervous the whole time because I tho

Week8 : Anansi Boys (6pt)

10/29/2020 This week I read Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman. The first thought came into my mind is that I feel like most of us are as ordinary as Charlie. So ordinary that we will not look at him or say hello to him. Charlie is next to me and you, and there's a good chance I'm the “Charlie” and you're the “Fat Charlie”. We are all looking forward to a brilliant, charming world, but unfortunately, we must face the conflict between our internal expectations and external environment, and It’s not easy to accept this fact. That is to say, we tend to be ordinary and not attractive. Fortunately, if Charlie had never met Spider, he might have lived the same life for the rest of his life and accepted it as a normal life. The arrival of the spider changed all that, and finally, Fat Charlie can become someone he used to look up to and feel a little jealousy. I think self-cognition and self-orientation is a very important subject in the process of personal growth (in both the story and in

Week12 : Bloodchild (8pt)

  11/27/2020 1. What is your reaction to the text you just read? I have to be honest that I am a little bit confused by what I just read. I think it is probably because it is a short story and you kind of have to be stuffed with all the information that the author wants to communicate, and I’m not sure if I fully understand everything. But I think if I had a chance to read it a couple of times, maybe I will get it and be more familiar with the characters. 2. What connections did you make with the story? Discuss what elements of the story with which you were able to connect? Since I was kind of confused by the story, I feel like the thing I felt most connected to was how the aliens give birth. I grew up next to a maternity clinic, and I was alway seeing people run into the clinic at night to give birth. I didn’t know what were happening inside the surgery room, so I kind of have to use my imagination to depict the scene, and it’s like how the author imagine aliens giving birth. 3. What